Tuesday 31 July 2012

Students. Explore Your City.

When I was picking what University to go to, I have to admit I didn't put a whole lot of thought into the fact that I would not only be picking my program, but I would be choosing to become part of a new culture for at least four years of my life. It never occurred to me to become involved in the city that I was going to University in, because when you are part of the campus bubble, you feel more like a temporary resident, than someone that can actually have an impact on that city.

Playing with John Pilat at Phog Lounge
However, it has become quite apparent to me now, how naive and irresponsible that was of me. I lived in Windsor for four years of my life, but I never really became overly involved in what that city had to offer until after I had graduated. It wasn't until last December that I went to the award winning Phog Lounge for the first time, and that was only because I had a show there. After playing another show there this past weekend I realized just how much I was missing out on by not engaging in the city that I lived in. Sure tons of students might venture to the downtown and contribute to the thriving bar scene of your city, but that's akin to taking a road trip on highways through the country. You only get to see the real country by taking the back roads.

There are so many gems in any city that go mostly unnoticed by a transient population. I grew up coming to the London area for concerts, but it wasn't until I became an intern at the Aeolian Hall that I attended my first concert there. Students miss out on so many amazing events that go on in this city that occur during the summer months when the majority have gone home. London really does have festivals that go on every single weekend in the summer.

Home County Folk Festival
These situations aren't exclusive to Windsor and London where I've gone to school, but happen in every city. Student's can contribute to the economy and the culture of the city just as well as anyone else. It's a huge challenge for most businesses to constantly appeal to the ever changing student populations of their cities.

So I make this challenge to the returning students, and students attending school for the first time in the fall: get out of your dorm rooms, the over populated student housing you live in, the student bubble you occupy, and the downtown or nearby bar district. See the real community that you are living in. Experience the culture, and maybe even contribute to it. Explore the different neighborhoods, side streets, and  markets. See the real city you have been missing, and you just might be pleasantly surprised.




What I'm Listening to This Week:
Vincent Van Go Go - Do You Know?

No comments:

Post a Comment