Monday 2 July 2012

Pineapples.

My entire life I loathed pineapples. It went beyond a simple dislike, because unlike most foods you don't like, pineapple juice lingers. That's right. Someone orders a Hawaiian pizza, guess what? You can't just pick those pesky things off, the juice has tainted it forever. It was a bombshell moment for me then, when I found out that I actually do like pineapples. 

You see, taste buds are interesting things. Scientifically, taste bugs can change as a reaction to chemotherapy, with age, with a healthy lifestyle, and most famously with pregnancy. The one they never explain in scientific journals, is why do so many university kids become lethargic and adopt a predisposition for Doritos and Kraft dinner?

The fabled pineapple experiment happened because of a lunch place next to our new office. They include a fruit salad with your sandwich (this is riveting stuff, I'm telling you). To my surprise it was chalked full of pineapple. So the first day I left all the pineapple for the other guy I work with, but the next time I went for it. In a feat of courage that hasn't been seen in years, I ate a piece of pineapple, and it was delicious. 

So is the point of this blog? Well, its been a busy week for one. ALSO, try new things. Your taste buds will change for the rest of your life, and something once thought you hated, you might love.




What I'm Listening to This Week:

The Lion's Roar - First Aid Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment