Monday 23 July 2012

Why London?

I am often times reminded of a particular episode of "Family Matters", where the father, Carl, was having a fight with his wife Harriette. She is driving him nuts and the fight is only resolved, when he realizes that the things that are driving him crazy, are the same things that he fell in love with her for. Cheesy? Absolutely. Was Family Matters amazing? Yes.

Now, the reason I bring up one of the greatest shows ever is not to reignite Jaleel White's career, but is to ask a question? Why did you originally come to London, or where ever you live, in the first place? The reason I ask this is because I find that I hear more people having to rationalize staying here, than staying out of love for this city. So there must be some reason why you came here in the first place.

Earlier today I was talking to someone and she turned the question on me, "Why did I pick London in the first place?" Well, I was fresh out of University, and there wasn't sure where to go, and my group of friends from high school were all spread out all over London going to Fanshawe and Western, and it seemed like as good as time as any to all live under one roof.


Also, when I was growing up, I lived in a town right in between Sarnia and London, but as I got older, I began to gravitate more towards this city than Sarnia; but why? Well, London had an amazing music scene when I was in my teenage years. The Embassy was still putting on nightly shows, Call the Office had incredible shows every night, and there were always shows going on at houses across the city. It was the playground for a teenager that loved music.

While the London that I knew then has changed (the Embassy is now a pile of stones), you need only take one look at our website, www.londonmusic.ca , to realize that the shows never stopped, but some of the venues may have changed.

What Would Carl Do?
I know it may seem like a tough decision for many as to why would you stay in this city when it may be much easier to find a job elsewhere,  but I would ask you to examine the roots of why you chose it. Heck, even if you don't live in London, and find yourself struggling with the city you live in, ask yourself, What would Carl Winslow do?  I love London because it isn't as big as Toronto. However, with that means that there simply won't be the opportunities. Sometimes what you loved about the city, is the same thing that drives you crazy.


What I'm Listening to This Week:
Les Paul and Mary Ford Shows - May and June 1950 

No comments:

Post a Comment