Monday 27 February 2012

If money didn’t exist, what would I be doing with my life?

Lately I have been plagued by a question, “If money didn't exist, what would I be doing with my life”?  What if everyone lived the same life as a priest? The seminary makes sure that you have a roof over your head, and food in your belly, but you can't get rich from being a priest. I’m sure that there would still be people who would study scripture, but what about the lawyers, the doctors, the actors; would they choose the same career path? What would you spend your days doing if every job reaped the same financial rewards?

I'm sure there are people who say they would lay around and do nothing all day, but they would soon realize that they would need a bigger purpose. Playing video games, and watching reruns of Futurama are surely only fun for a little bit. After a little bit of this you might say, "How will I contribute to society"? 

When I finished my undergraduate degree, I didn’t find a job right away to do with my field. To be honest, I didn't find one until after I went back for graduate school. That’s beyond the point. However, I found myself working at a small English pub, in a small town outside of London. While I was there I made food my education, working on my skills at work, and studying the craft when I was at home. Like any job though, there are little things that happen that drive people nuts. For one person it can be where you leave the tongs, for another it can be what cream are you using in your coffee, but everyone has some little quirk and they all add up. It was at this point that I realized something, this “problem”; it only exists in this part of the kitchen, in this part of a restaurant, in this small town, in Ontario, in Canada, on earth. No one outside of the kitchen would know about that problem, heck, there are probably people in the kitchen don’t even know about it. If you let them though, all of those little “problems” can consume your life and make you miserable.

By the same logic of thought, your fame, your success, it really only exists to you. While there are people in your life that are highly involved in your life, and you may see famous people, and envy their wealth, when it comes down to it, your career, the success that you sacrifice so much of your life for, it only matters to you, if you’re lucky your family, who live in whatever town, in whatever country, on earth. In a hundred years they’re not going to talk about how great you were at sorting documents, if you’re lucky they will talk about how great of a person you are. You only occupy this small space on the planet, for this small amount of time, so make sure you are doing what you want to do, because life is too short. 


(P.S. I would still do what I'm doing now)

No comments:

Post a Comment