Monday 13 February 2012

My Top Ten Drummers

For most of my life I've been playing drums. I started when I was five, and up until a year ago I considered myself a drummer. The butt tons of million jokes, drummers are often the most under appreciated member of most bands. 

My list isn't composed of the most technical drummers, there are a million lists of those. These are just the drummers that I found have the best groove, and had the biggest influence on me. 

John Theodore - The Mars Volta/One Day As a Lion

To me he is the most underrated drummer I know of. With more of an emphasis on the beat than being showy, to me Theodore was what made the early Mars Volta so special. 


Clinic Drummer - Benny Greb

It seems impossible to be both a clinic drummer, and groove based. So much about being a clinic drummer is being super technical, without regard for the groove. Greb sets a standard for all drummers to strive for. 


Clinic Drummer - Jojo Mayer

I think with a name like Jojo you gotta be good. Jojo Mayer has been redefining modern drumming and has even done a TED talk. 


Darren King - Mute Math

To me, Mute Math are the most groove based band out there. I mean that the band as a whole has a huge emphasis on keeping the rhythm first. At least that was the case on their debut album, I could never get that into their follow up. 


Nick Mason - Pink Floyd

Who says you have to have perfect technique to be a great drummer? Nick Mason just plays stuff that I think is awesome. 


John Densmore - The Doors


Dave Grohl - Nirvana/Foo Fighters/Queens of the Stoneage/Them Crooked Vultures/Tenacious D

While in recent years he's moved to the guitar, I think a lot of people forget just how good of a drummer he is. 


Abe Cunningham - Deftones

Spawning a generation of drummers to go after things like piccolo snares, Cunningham was definitely a force is shaping my teen years drumming wise. 


David Sandstrom - Refused

This song has the best beat ever. 


Mark Gajadhar - The Blood Brothers

This guy to me is the most under appreciated drummer I know of. You don't realize how complicated his stuff is until you sit down to play it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment