Monday 6 February 2012

How to Live Without Cable

Alright, so that might be a little dramatic for a title. What I mean is we now live in an age where you really don't need to have cable or satellite. There are tons of ways to get all of your favorite shows still, and even better, you get them when you want them.










I'm sure by now most people have heard about Netflix, and also the fact that it is way better in the states. That is definitely true. However, the selection and accessibility you find in Canada is still worth it.

For those of you that don't know, Netflix is a subscription service that you can sign up for and use on all sorts of different devices from your home computer, PS3, XBOX, Wii, and Apple TV. There are movies, and television series on it, and soon, there will be Netflix only TV shows; the most famous of those being "Arrested Development".

In addition to movies, and TV shows, it also has one of the best selections of documentaries I've ever seen.

Here is my current list of top Netflix picks.

Movies




Television


Documentaries
 

2) HD Antenna

One of the main concerns for me about not having cable would be the lack of local news. However, thanks to the switch to digital television last year, I now get CTV 2 (formerly A Channel) in perfect HD. As long as you have a relatively new TV, most have the digital tuner built right in, and in order to get over the air channels, you simply need to get a digital antenna.

Although currently I only get two stations consistently (CTV 2, Omni) CBC is supposed to be making the switch next year.

For more information check out  http://digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/1282825334983/1282825604404.

3) Utilize the Internet

If you check your favorite TV Station, you can find most of your favorite shows available online, for free, and legally. I was really surprised when I started looking at the caliber of shows that you can find for free.



I personally use my Blackberry Playbook, and simply by buying a 15 dollar HDMI to Mini HDMI chord you can display your Playbook on your TV. I then would make a bookmark for "The Daily Show" on my home screen, and I am then able to watch the previous nights episode as if it was on TV.

4) Important Thing to Consider


If you are going to try to use the internet for most of your television as I have suggested, make sure you have a good internet plan. The best provider for me has been Tech Savvy where you can get high speed internet and 300 gb a month for $42.

It is very important to factor this in though, because if not, you could be facing lofty overage charges.










No comments:

Post a Comment