Monday 10 September 2012

What Travelling Experience has Changed your Life?

This summer I got to go to the Grand Canyon. The canyon itself was pretty remarkable. It's hard to describe until you get there and see that it goes for as far as the eye can see. This isn't about the canyon though. While travelling around Arizona I was blown away by the diversity of the state. From the scorching heat of Phoenix, the wilderness in Flagstaff, and the never ending supply of breathtaking mountains, it's a fascinating place to visit.

Little Known Fact - Grand Canyon is French for Big Canyon
Now, I've had the debate before that travelling can be dangerous. I'm not talking about movies like Hostel or Taken which tell of the dangers of being abducted. What I fear of travelling is the effect it can have of demistyfing the world. A majority of my knowledge of the world comes from documentaries, friends harrowing tales of adventure, and history books. However, when people go to Paris, they don't typically talk about the long lineups at the Louvre, abundance of dog poop, or the smell.

Why Not Dance at Hopewell Rocks?
Like meeting your idols, only to find out that they are mortal too, is travelling a dangerous trip for your mind? Is the idea of ignorance is bliss truly the best? Well, I've gone back and forth on the idea that staying home, and believing that Aladdin taught me all I needed to know about Arabian nights is the best way to travel the world. However, when you see the amazing landscapes that this world has to offer, it becomes apparent that you really have to get out of your pajamas, and see the world first hand. Let me apologize in advance and tell you that David Attenborough will not be there to narrate your every discovery, but you won't need him to.

or.. Dance in Quebec City?
Now, I'm a terrible person to travel with. I am terrified of bears, spiders, snakes, oh, and travelling. However, sometimes you just have to say life's too short to watch reruns of Futurama, get in a car with your friends, and journey into a part of the world unknown.

So I ask you, what travelling experience has changed your life?



What I'm Listening to This Week:
Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again

3 comments:

  1. First, of all good post.

    Second, there is an actual psychological disorder with physical manifestations that is brought on by what you describe as a demystification of the world, specifically how people react after visiting Paris because it falls so short of the hype, its called "Paris Syndrome" look it up.

    Third, its hard to pick one trip that changed my life, because every trip changes your life, or at least your perspective of your life. Spending time kayaking a lake with my wife can be very relaxing and romantic and de-stress me so much as to possibly extend my lifespan. as a young man I went on a hardcore canoe trip to Algonquin park with a guided group, it caused me to sweat, bleed and cry and I came out more of a man at the end. My travels through the developing world have given me perspective on what my life is and what I should do with my privilege as a Canadian. Every trip ive taken has expanded my horizons more than any story or documentary or Simpsons episode ever can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really appreciate the thought that you put into this article. This topic has been something I have been looking into for a few hours and your post is one of the best I have read.

    ReplyDelete