Sunday 15 January 2012

Great Websites in London, Ontario

I've lived in London for about 3 years now, and over that time I have come across a few sites in the city that I find are very useful, and that a lot of people don't know about.

LondonFuse.ca

London Fuse is a non-profit organization that runs an online magazine of all things culture in London. Show reviews, upcoming events, and more all come from user generated content.

LFPress.com

It's hard to realize how awesome an online newspaper is until you introduce it to someone for the first time. After our whole family got my Nana a new laptop for Christmas, this was the first website I showed her. Her reaction to the London Free Press website made me realize that I've forgotten how awesome it is to be able to go through all of the articles for free. If you check periodically throughout the day, it is updated even before newstands.

LondonMusic.ca

Ok, I might be bias because two friends and I came up with this site. However, I've also started to become a fan of this site too. It's crazy how many awesome shows actually happen in this city that people don't go to just because they don't know about them.

Every single concert in this city on one calender.

OpenDataLondon

This group of citizens try to help out the city with the goal:

"to foster an innovative community of citizens that leverage open data in new ways to benefit the citizens of London. In doing so, we hope to bring together our community and non-profit organizations with our educational institutions, to create not only projects but lasting bonds that benefit all."


All of the following sites are from OpenDataLondon.


LondonTrash.ca

This was the first site that I came across. Ever miss your garbage day because you are confused, or forgot the schedule? No more. With this simple to use website, simply put in your address, and find out your next pick up, and even sign up for text message, and email reminders.

EatSure.ca

Although all of the restaurants I've worked in have been incredibly clean, I think everyone has heard of the nightmare restaurants. Although this site is still in beta, EatSure.ca, this site is a new way of "displaying restaurant inspection data made available by the Middlesex London Health Unit’s Inspection Disclosure Site". 

London Overnight Parking Exemptions

Growing up in the country, I never understood the difficulty of parking cars in the city. Everyone has had to at one point attempted tons of different elaborate Tetris like parking jobs for an overnight guest. Just check out this link for a Google map of overnight parking exemptions in the city.

I'm Always looking for new sites in the city. Feel free to add them in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment